by: The Memo Staff
This past week, we had a lot of conversations with different women that seemed to revolve around the same topic: mentorship.
We spoke to a number of women doing amazing things in their careers. The higher they climbed, however, the fewer mentors they were able to find for themselves, they said. We all need good mentors and advocates no matter how far we've gotten in our careers.
These women also spoke at length about the joy they derived from mentoring more junior members of their company.
Here are five quotes about the power of mentorship and helping/learning from others.
- "In order to be a mentor, and an effective one, one must care. You must care...Know what you know and care about the person, care about what you know and care about the person you're sharing with. - Maya Angelou"
- When you've worked hard, and done well, and walked through that doorway of opportunity, you do not slam it shut behind you. You reach back." - Michelle Obama
- "If I hadn't had mentors, I wouldn't be here today. I'm a product of great mentoring, great coaching. - Indra Nooyi
- "Remember that no one succeeds alone. Never walk alone in your future paths." - Justice Sonia Sotomayor
- "I’ve preached the importance of having role models, mentors and friends who support you. It took a village for me to be who I am today, and it still takes a village to assist me in the journey ahead." - Janet Mock